In this blog post
How AI improves VDI Management in IT Operations?
As a company grows, it hires more employees and provides each one with a computing device on which to run their day-to-day activities. Virtual desktop infrastructure solutions are used by a large business to provide computing capacity without the use of hardware devices. While there has been an upsurge in the demand for VDI desktop virtualization software, organisations are still unsure how to manage it. To guarantee high service uptime, you need know how to manage your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). For a long time, ITOps teams have been utilising AI to manage VDI. Continue reading to learn more about VDI and how it can be controlled with Artificial Intelligence (AI).
What is VDI management?
When corporations realised, they were paying more on computing systems for employees, the trend for virtual machines grew. A corporation can use a virtual desktop infrastructure to run business applications on any device. Employees don’t have to use a specific device on the company’s premises to access business apps. With virtualization, the functionality of a desktop in your organisation can be provided to another device. VDI desktop virtualization software is deployed on several devices using a dedicated host server. With virtualization, employees may run business applications and operating systems on any device.
During the COVID pandemic, there was an increase in demand for virtual desktop infrastructure solutions. Employees relied on virtual machines to execute critical business activities because they couldn’t bring the company’s hardware home with them. Employees can access business applications and computing capacity on their own devices thanks to a VDI provided by a company. Businesses must manage the virtual infrastructure in addition to investing in VDI desktop virtualization software. VDI management entails a number of steps, which are as follows:
- Once you have installed a VDI software in your organization, you must provide it with regular updates to make sure it performs effectively. If your VDI desktop virtualization software is outdated, your employees will struggle in completing business operations thus, affecting the service availability.
- Configuration information about a virtual machine is also patched with VDI software. For example, Windows uses registry keys to store configuration information. If you are virtualizing Windows OS, you need to patch the registry keys for the correct configuration on any other device.
- VDI management includes regular monitoring of virtual machines to make sure everything is in order. Any operating system issues can deteriorate your service availability and, you need to get rid of them immediately.
- ITOps teams must identify the performance issues of virtual machines that are hosted. ITOps focuses on finding the performance issues within a virtual desktop infrastructure in real-time.
- CXOs are responsible for implementing a monitoring system that can analyze different layers of VDI. With round-the-clock monitoring of VDI, user issues can be acknowledged and fixed in real-time.
The VDI’s capacity planning is also the responsibility of the ITOps teams. If computer capacity falls short in the future due to excessive demand, it must be increased in advance to ensure service availability.
Challenges faced with VDI management in 2021
VDI management is a difficult endeavour because even a minor mistake can result in a reduction in service availability. Virtual desktops, like in-house computing devices, are critical for business continuity if your employees work remotely. At present, IT teams must overcome the following VDI management challenges:
- Virtual desktop infrastructure solutions increase the overall size of your IT infrastructure. Businesses must monitor their virtual infrastructure rigorously. It calls for more system administrators in the organization and increases the workload of CXOs.
- For VDI management, real-time user monitoring tools are required. The lack of real-time monitoring tools has hampered the service availability of businesses that use VDI.
- Due to the recent remote work culture, your employees may use their own devices. If you are deploying essential business applications virtually on remote endpoints, you should also protect them from being exploited. Monitoring remote endpoints that access the virtual computing resource is a challenge for businesses nowadays.
- The business demands and needs can fluctuate often in the current scenario. A business needs to make sure it has enough computing capacity to complete future business operations. Businesses face challenges in predicting the computing capacity of VDI based on needs and demands. If you cannot complete daily operations due to a scalability shortage, you will degrade your service reliability.
How to tackle VDI management challenges in 2021?
In 2021, AI for IT operations is the best solution for VDI management. To tackle VDI management challenges, an AIOps platform employs predictive analytics models:
- AIOps uses predictive analytics models that can forecast performance issues related to virtual desktop systems. You can learn about vulnerabilities within your virtual desktop infrastructure with an AIOps-based platform.
- Real-time user monitoring tools powered with AIOps can monitor the connected devices across your VDI at all times. You can collect data from numerous endpoints that are connected to your virtual desktop infrastructure.
- AIOps can store user data and study user patterns on virtual machines. Based on that data, it quickly identifies an outlier. If someone is trying to get into your virtual desktop infrastructure, AIOps can notify you quickly.
- If any IT issue occurs within your virtual desktop infrastructure, AIOps will help in detecting the cause of the issue. Any issues within your VDI desktop virtualization software can be fixed quickly with AIOps.
- You can predict the computing capacity required by your employees for day-to-day operations. Based on the predictions, you can virtualize that much computing capacity for your employees. With AIOps, your virtual desktops will keep running and, you will achieve maximum service availability.
More than 40% of businesses are now utilising artificial intelligence to monitor remote endpoints and virtual desktops. With the top AIOPs products and tools for organisations on the market, you can also improve service availability and VDI security.