In this blog post
Boost Security with AIOps-enabled SIEM
In today’s world, cybersecurity challenges are more complicated than ever. Business companies are currently transitioning to digitization, and there are various security risks along the road. Business companies require a proactive solution to deal with complicated security attacks. Gone are the days when cyberattacks against businesses were limited to only a few types. New-age security solutions have entered the market as the taxonomy of cyberattacks grows. AIOPs-enabled SIEM solutions are one of the most cutting-edge security solutions for businesses looking to protect their software systems. Continue reading to learn why SIEM combined with AIOps is the security solution you require.
What is SIEM?
You must be familiar with SIEM before understanding about AIOPs tools for security and compliance capabilities. SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) assists enterprises in identifying security vulnerabilities prior to them causing service availability and reliability. Organizations used to execute SIM and SEM separately for the security of their IT infrastructure before SIEM. SIEM combines SIM and SEM to enable real-time security analysis of IT infrastructure security concerns. SIEM also involves the storage of log data and the generation of compliance documentation.
Business companies can have SIEM as software or as managed services. SIEM has evolved into more than just a log management tool over time. Businesses are now leveraging SIEM’s capabilities with the help of cutting-edge technologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence. The necessity of AI data analytics monitoring tools in coping with complex cyber threats has been recognised by most enterprises. Many firms have already begun to use AI-based SIEM solutions for UEBA (User & Entity Behaviour Analytics). An AI-based SIEM solution may assist you with anything from regulatory compliance to handling sophisticated cyber threats. AIOps is used to automate several SIEM activities, such as threat response and threat detection. Not to mention, AIOps-enabled SIEM solutions improve overall service availability.
What are the challenges that SIEM entails?
When SIEM systems give real-time insights, why did AIOps become necessary? Traditional SIEM solutions couldn’t keep up with the complexity of ever-changing security threats. It’s for this reason that security professionals and vendors felt compelled to implement AIOps. A considerable increase in service availability was noticed when SIEM solutions were enhanced with AIOps. Organizations could also use AI for application monitoring to engage in proactive threat management. Complex security concerns were solved in less time when SIEM and AIOps were coupled. The following are some of the issues with traditional SIEM tools that lead to the introduction of AIOps-enabled SIEM solutions:
- Event correlation is important for identifying patterns that could hamper the security of the IT infrastructure. Traditional SIEM solutions correlated events over a short duration. For example, traditional SIEM solutions correlated events not more than a week. Since SIEM could not correlate security events over a longer period, patterns that can affect security could not be identified.
- Traditional SIEM solutions could not detect threats when the data sets under consideration were large. Legacy SIEM solutions failed to provide threat intelligence feeds that could have strengthened the monitoring process.
- Since SIEM is primarily a log management solution, it will provide you with a huge magnitude of monitoring data. However, traditional SIEM solutions failed to separate the noise from the monitoring data. Due to more noise, IT teams spend more time identifying the security threats that have a greater impact on service availability.
- As the IT infrastructure grows, more and more blind spots occur within the security of the organization. Traditional SIEM tools were unable to identify the cybersecurity blind spots in time. When blind spots are unattended for a long time, they become the perfect way for infiltrators to get into an organization’s IT infrastructure.
- Traditional SIEM solutions provide security & compliance teams with huge chunks of unrelated data. It is a tiring task to manually find patterns from the log data via event correlation. Since traditional SIEM tools fail to find patterns between large sets of log data, future cyber challenges cannot be identified.
Organizations were pushed to upgrade SIEM with intelligent solutions as a result of these problems. AIOps has proven to be useful in upgrading SIEM for advanced threat intelligence and protection.
What are the advantages of a SIEM solution based on AIOps?
AIOps-based SIEM can help you protect your IT infrastructure, as well as all connected devices and applications, regardless of the size of your organisation. You can identify anomalies in user behaviour faster than ever before using real-time user monitoring solutions. The following are some of the advantages of adopting an AIOps-enabled SIEM solution:
- An AIOps SIEM solution will indulge in round-the-clock monitoring of the IT infrastructure. Any security threat can be identified in real-time and, you can decrease the MTTD (Mean Time to Discover) security threats. With a significant decrease in MTTD, you can resolve security issues faster and boost service availability.
- A business must fulfil compliance requirements regarding data reporting and maintenance. An AIOps SIEM solution will help you in streamlining the data collection and analysis process. By using an AIOps based analytics platform, fewer internal resources will be used for log data collection and reporting.
- AIOps-enabled SIEM platforms have some SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response) functionalities. Besides identifying security issues, an AIOps based analytics platform can also respond to security threats.
- You can collect data about user behavior from all connected devices, endpoints, and applications with an AIOps-enabled SIEM solution. AIOps will offer you a unified and centralized view of log data from several software systems and connected devices.
- AIOps can pull log data from previous years during event correlation. It helps in identifying patterns that lead to security concerns. You can identify unseen cyber threats with an AIOps-enabled SIEM solution.
Businesses will spend roughly USD 175 billion on risk management and security by 2023. You may develop a long-term security solution for your IT infrastructure by adopting an AIOps-enabled SIEM solution. Using an AIOps-enabled SIEM solution, you may improve service availability.